Review: Rimmel London Provocalips Lip Colour


Buying one of these lip colours had been on my to do list for a very long time. As soon as they were launched I read a whole heap of blog posts about them that said how fantastic their staying power was! Who doesn't want great staying power? It promises to last for 16 hours, and according to Rimmel themselves be 'kiss proof, food proof and transfer proof'. I've been trying them out in the colours 230 Kiss Fatal and 200 I'll Call You. So what do I think?

_________________________________________________________________

THE PACKAGING
_________________________________________________________________
 
The packaging is nice. It's very clear that one end of the product is the liquid lipstick, and one end is the gloss. I like the fact that the packaging on the gloss end of the product is consistent throughout the range, and then the lipstick end, varies based upon the shade of the product. I'm not a massive fan of the lip print at the gloss end, but it is playful, and is very 'rimmel'! I don't know if I've picked up a product that is faulty, but the writing doesn't all face the same direction, and you can't put the lids on wrong because they have designated ends? Anyway, you'll see what I mean in some of the pictures (like the one below), and it's not a big issue...there are bigger problems than misprinted lipsticks, but it's just irritating!

 
_________________________________________________________________
 
THE COLOUR RANGE
_________________________________________________________________
 
I've only tried two of the colours, Kiss Fatal (a berry/purple colour) and I'll Call You (a pale pink, that looks quite a bright natural colour on the lips), but really like them both. The shades are all based upon reds and pinks, with a purple and a couple of nudes. There are eight shades in total, and it's just not enough! I really hope they release more...


Top: 200 I'll Call You, Bottom: 230 Kiss Fatal
_________________________________________________________________
 
THE PRODUCT
_________________________________________________________________
 
I don't think there are many products out there that claim to last 16 hours, and actually live up to it. The first time I wore this I fell asleep in it, and it wasn't smudged all over my pillow when I woke up - I knew from that moment it was the start of a beautiful friendship. 

APPLICATION - the coloured lipstick is quite runny, and I make sure to wipe off the excess before applying it - it can smudge quite a lot because it's a very wet formula. After applying the colour, you lock it into place with the clear gloss. This dries the colour and isn't sticky, so just gives a very clean, more matt look. I find if I'm rushing it all goes horribly wrong so I would say patience is key with this one.
 
FORMULA - I found Kiss Fatal quite drying, so be sure to keep applying the gloss throughout the day to act as a moisturiser, but I'll call you wasn't half as bad. I tried using a lip balm before it and it just made the colour slide about on my lips so I wouldn't recommend that.
 
REMOVAL - I read a lot of blog posts and reviews about this which gave a lot of mixed messages. Some said it was really difficult and others said really easy, some said use an oil based remover, others said use a non-oil based remover. Personally, I have found it quit tricky to remove. I have to use an eye make up remover, and I've finally settled on the Johnson's Gentle Eye Make Up Removal Pads - they don't taste disgusting!
 
__________________________________________________________________
 
THE FINAL VERDICT
__________________________________________________________________
 
If you don't own one of these lip colours, you should. I think the pinks will be perfect for spring and summer, and something you can wear time and time again. These are priced at £6.99 in Boots (also available at other Rimmel stockists), and are definitely worth the money.
 
Have you tried the Rimmel Provocalips? What do you think?



 

No comments