Who doesn't love a good cupcake? Well, Valentines Day is the perfect excuse to heat the oven up and dust off the old muffin tray. These would make an ideal gift or a little treat for yourself - who says you need to have someone to share them with!
You will need:
For the muffins:
250g caster sugar
175g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
For the icing:
200g softened butter
400g icing sugar
Pink food colouring
Sprinkles of your choice to decorate
What to do:
1) Preheat the oven to 160⁰C/320⁰F/Gas Mark 3
2) Line a 13 hole muffin tin tray with paper muffin cases
3) Beat the sugar and butter until light in colour and so the sugar grains are no longer visible.
4) Add the eggs and continue to beat until mixed together (don't worry if it looks like it has split!)
5)Mix the cocoa into the flour in a seperate bowl until it is evenly distributed, and then fold this into the liquid mixture until combined. Be careful not to knock the air out!
6) Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 25 - 30 minutes on a low shelf. To check if they are ready, place and skewer into each muffin - if it comes out clean they are cooked.
7) Leave to cool. Whilst cooling make the icing - beat together the butter and sugar, and add 5 drops of food colouring (add more or less depending on how bright you'd like the icing)
8) Spread/pipe onto the cool muffins.
9) Sprinkle with sprinkles (I picked red and pink hearts for Valentines Day up from my local supermarket)
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and have a fantastic Valentines Day on Saturday!
See you for another post on Friday!