Blogmas Day 8 | Recipe: Cinder Toffee/Honeycomb

It's time for another baking recipe! My last couple, Peppermint Creams and Baked Apple, were really popular so I hope you enjoy this one as much!

I've been trying for months to get this recipe right. I practiced with one recipe, and it was just too complicated and I ended up burning the sugar each time! My mum and Dad, and my friends have been very patient with this one as they have had to try some terrible things!

But I finally have found a recipe that works, and that is super easy to do! I modified the original recipe that I took from BBC Food slightly and I've ended up with something super delicious! It's really simple, requires very few ingredients and can be done very quickly.

If you want to make something that looks a little bit like this, keep reading for the Recipe:

 
 
You Will Need:
 
200g Caster Sugar
40ml Runny Honey
1 tbsp. Liquid Glucose
3/4 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
50ml Water
 
 
What to do:
 
1) Line a Baking Tray with baking parchment.
 
2) Into a large pan add the sugar, honey, Liquid Glucose and Water
 
*TIP* when measuring out the honey and liquid glucose warm the measuring spoon with boiling water and the honey and glucose will stick to it less!
 
3)Bring ingredients to the boil in a pan
If you have a sugar thermometer heat until the mixture is 160C, if you don't (like I didn't) heat for about 4 minutes until the mixtures bubbles are almost clear (you'll know what I mean when you see it)
 
4) At this point take the pan off the heat and allow to cool for approximately 30 seconds
 
5)Whisk in the Bicarbonate of Soda really quickly. The mixture will more than double in size and turn from a cloudy colour to an orange ''honeycomb'' colour. Be careful that the mixture doesn't touch your hand as it might be hot.
 
6) Pour the mixture into the lined baking tray. It might continue to increase in size but will shrink down eventually.
 
7) Leave the honeycomb to cool for 30 minutes 
 
Here is what mine looked like a couple of minutes into it's cooling time
 


8) Break into shards and serve
  
 
This would make the ideal sweet snack, sweet treat gift or small pieces could be used as a cake topping!
 
I hope you enjoyed reading this and you have a go yourself!
 
Enjoy!
 
Love, Hannah x
 



No comments